For those of you who have been in touch with me lately have probably noticed that I've been somewhat distracted. Or maybe you haven't. . . I'm not exactly focused all the time anyway!
The reason why is that my husband gave me an excellent Valentine's Day gift. He gave me a budget to reorganize our cupboards and our pantry. When we moved in five years ago, we set up the kitchen in a way that was necessary, not convenient. We had a two year old climber who managed to get into everything. Anything potentially dangerous was put high up, out of reach and the non-lethal items were left to the drawers and cabinets. She's eight, now, and no longer a danger to herself and others so a reorganization is due.
One of my first projects was this totally awesome pot rack. I've always wanted one but I don't have a spot to hang it without blocking the one and only window in my kitchen. I was perusing online trying to come up with a solution and came across the idea of putting it in a cupboard. Doesn't it look great?!?!
I'd love to take credit for this absolutely brilliant idea, but I can't. I found it on this blog. She does an excellent job giving a tutorial that I followed, making a few tweeks here and there.
I would suggest either purchasing a pot rack like this one and modifying it as she did in her blog or I would use a few boards (rails would work great) and buying these hooks. I opted to buy the pot rack since it came with six hooks and the wood. It ended up saving money because the hooks by themselves are very expensive.
I don't have many photographs of the process, mainly because I put it together late at night and I was too excited. The entire project took less than twenty minutes to do and the result is fantastic.
I did follow her tutorial for the most part. This is what I did differently.
First, I tossed all the assembly hardware except the two screws. Yes, I even tossed the two hooks that go on the end. From the ends that I cut off, I cut off three inches of the board that included the hole that was already put in there. I just threaded the screw through the three pieces of wood on both sides. It holds the boards apart perfectly so the hooks slide without trouble.
The other thing I did differently is that I mounted mine opposite the way she did. She put her brackets in an L shape and I put mine upside down. It worked better for the type of brackets I had.
It's fantastically convenient and I don't have to unearth pans from an unsteady pan tower anymore. We're pretty thrilled with this one!
If I do it again:
We're quite pleased with the results! I don't think I'd do anything differently at this point.