Friday, November 25, 2011
The most AWESOME drying rack!
My latest and greatest project has been my laundry room. I jumped on an early Black Friday deal and upgraded my washer and dryer to. . . ta da! A front loading set!!!
The laundry room HAD to be updated. I had a wish list. First, foremost and top of the list was ROOM. I needed room to fold the clothes as soon as they came out of the dryer. I needed a place to dry the clothes that needed to be hung. I needed something a lot more efficient than my current laundry practice. . . wash them, pile them into various laundry baskets placed strategically against walls to keep them from toppling and fold once a week. It took hours.
I started with a very simple project before my new washer and dryer came. I wanted a wall mounted drying rack. I found an awesome one online at Home Decorators Collection (picture on the link) but I didn't have an extra $140 laying around to spend on it. So, I built my own.
I actually had most of the stuff laying around the house to build it. I used a 24 x 36 picture frame that had the glass broken out of it as the frame of the piece. I used 1x2's to build the inside frame and 1/2 inch dowels for the rack part. The fabric is printed duck fabric. It turned out cute, didn't it?
I started out by cutting the wood to build a frame to fit inside the picture frame. I then cut dowels to fit inside the frame I was building, adding a half an inch to the total measurement. I marked where the dowels were to go and then, using a drill bit slightly larger than the dowels, drilled into the two side pieces about 1/3 of an inch.
I nailed three sides of the inside frame together and then put the dowels in before adding the fourth side.
Once I added the fourth side, I painted the entire rack with white spray paint. After it dried, I put on three coats of sealer. I didn't want the damp clothes to warp the wood at all.
While everything was drying, I covered the inside of the picture frame with my fabric. I am sure most fabrics would work but I chose a duck fabric. It's thicker and I really liked the pattern on it. I just stretched it and stapled it.
Make sure to get it nice and taunt.
And it was time to put the rack in. I salvaged the hinges from my husband's bucket of leftovers. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go buy a few larger hinges. Because the rack sticks out of the frame, I had to mount it this way.
I gave them a light coat of spray paint so you can't see it. I had to figure out how to keep the rack from crashing open when I used it. I didn't have any chain I was willing to sacrifice so I used ribbon. It's worked great so far! I just stapled it. . . .
And it's finished! I bought the Command strips to mount this to the wall. That way, I didn't have to find studs or drill through my piece. I bought the strips for the large sized picture. The box says it can hold 32 pounds. My piece is much lighter than that, even with clothes on it.
I've had this drying rack for a few weeks now and it's working beautifully! It folds up nice when not in use and doesn't take up any valuable floor space.
Posted by jennifer